Friday, March 2, 2012

Scribbles on books


As a child I read  a lot.

I was that really cool kid who read chapter books before everyone else. 

As a pseudo adult I read more than most people my age - it will never be enough though.
The novel is (I must admit) becoming an obsolete form in popular culture. Regardless, I will always read.

here are some scribbles about my favorite books.

Why?- because I believe that taste defines a person.
I have missed a great many books but here is a portion.
I  listed these in a sort of chronological order. They are grouped semi thematically.

Wind in the willows
I remember having this read to me when I had the chickenpox.

Harry potter
I do not care for anyone's opinion on these books. For me these books have been with me for many years. The novels grew with the reader, they were timely and were a positive  exercise in escapism.



The Bell Jar-Sylvia Plath
A cliche book for female university students to like but I don't care , I love it. I read it years ago-still interesting.

Galax Arena-Gillian Rubenstein
This is so underrated as a youth novel. I read this book for the first time when I was about 11 and I still enjoy it.


Frankenstein -Mary Shelley
I had to include this as apparently my family are descendants of the author. The novel (not the film) is great.
 Do we look alike?

Dracula-Bram stoker
-I include this as I not only love horror, but I also am really fascinated by 'Vlad the Impaler' who Stoker based the title character on.

Interview with the vampire - Anne Rice
I love it when vampires are done well. Without any extra additions to the myth - It is just a straight vampire story that doesn't rely on gimmicks( Diamond skin, teen drama) to convey meaning.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde- R. L Stevenson
Obviously.

The Walking dead-Robert Kirkman,Tony Moore,Charlie Adlard
Obviously.

Watchmen-Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons
 I really hated the film adaptation of this Graphic Novel, What the very fuck Zack Snyder?


Fun fact: I genuinely love Legend of the Guardians : The Owls of Ga'hoole .   It is one of the best Australian films . Happy Feet can suck it.


The collected works of Edgar Allen Poe
Because I am wicked angsty.


Macbeth- The big Cheese
Lady macbeth is the greatest character in literature.

She is like the swag king.
I went there.

American Psycho-Bret Easton Ellis

Obviously.



Fight club/Choke-Chuck Palahniuk
 Obviously.


And the Ass saw the Angel- Nick Cave
Is really gritty like everything he does. 

Middlesex
The Virgin Suicides
-Jeffrey Eugenides
Eugenides is one of my favorite novelists. Crazy good.
 
Hells Angels-Hunter S Thompson

I could include every HST piece in this list - I have literally read them all. Hells Angels is his first 'novel' and it was the one that made me love his work.


On the road- Jack Kerouac. 
obviously.


The Road- Cormac McCarthy 
So bleak - so fresh. Also Nick Cave did the score for the film-
Which was probably one of the best adaptation decisions ever.


Candy / God Of Speed-Luke Davies 
Luke Davies is an amazing Australian writer.  Both novels are worth reading.


1984-George Orwell
I have read this many , many , many , many times.
 I like to read it while listening to the Bowie Album . It goes off.

The Death of Bunny Munroe- Nick Cave
 -DO NOT READ THIS BOOK IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH-
shit gets real.

that is it for now.
I know I've missed many things.
I like making lists though

-Caribou out.

No comments:

Post a Comment